Friday, June 2, 2017

Preparation


History

17 years ago, we prayed that our family would be able to serve together on a mission field.  Once the door opened, we made preparations for the trip

From that trip, two of them attended schools outside of the United States.  One served, for a year, overseas.  Today, each one is internationally-minded and open to serving and supporting.

The prayers and preparation paid off!

Real Time

Well it's time to pray and prepare again.

Again we will travel with teenager.  This time, none of them share our DNA.  But each one has a place in my heart.

I cannot wait to see what they learn about themselves ... other people and their culture ... and about the love of God!

In the meantime, it's time for preparation!  Here's what God has been teaching me.

Preparation is more that planning for the future.  It involves the past and the present.

The Past

Is there anything that I've holding back from God?  It's easy to loose sight of the big picture when there's a challenge right in front of me.  The goal can't be to just get through the challenge.  There's more!  What is God trying to teach me?  What control is He asking me to surrender?

The Present

I've been pulled over three times for speeding ... and each time it was less than 10 miles from home!  I was so busy trying to get to my destination, there was no attention given to the present moment.  So what needs to be done ... right now?  With so much to do before leaving, I can't afford to speed through my To Do list and miss what God may want me to hear today.

The Future


This is the thing I can focus on too much ... and it's the one thing I know nothing about.  This has to be put in God's hands.  There can be some guesses (for packing).  There can be some serious studies (six message to be given and two through an Interpreter).  Ultimately, will I be open to God's interventions and interruptions?  Will I be teachable?  Will I be careful not to hide behind my role as a leader and listen for God to an speak to me as His child?

No comments: