Friday, August 15, 2008

Change the Filter

I just watched a repairman change a very dirty filter in our office air conditioner. Our office calendar reminds us each month that it's time to change the filters. We all understand that in order for that equipment to run at its best, the filter should be clear and clean. Meanwhile, it wasn't changed. It became clogged. The air conditioner stopped working. Knowing the truth about filters and believing it just wasn't enough.

I wonder how many times, I'm operating with clogged filters -especially when listening to someone else. There are times when I see someone else listening with a filter. Instead of hearing the words, they're interpreting the meaning - even before the person is done speaking.

Why can that be so easy to spot and yet my own filters are just as easily ignored? AND if there a filters that I use with people, are there filters I use when seeking the Lord's voice?

Honestly, it's probably not often ... but once is too much. Maybe that's why Jesus made such an odd statement, often. "He who has ears, let him hear."

Papa, thank you for Your filter-free hearing. Give me ears to hear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey PD -

I've been here many times in lurkdome, but haven't left a comment (insert sheepish grin). Was thinking of you today as the sermon, in church,was given by a man that looks, sounds, and acts a lot like you. It brought back many good memories so I thought I would stick my head in the room and say hello!

My filters are often clogged with ME. You know? I want, I need, me, me, me.... I've learned soaking the filter in the Living Water is the only way to keep those filters clean!

In any case - be Blessed!
Lori Bonnell
beyondthegarden.org

Dave MacDonald said...

Thanks Lori, Good to hear from you!